The River Branch is no longer active however its main purpose for many years was to provide a convivial atmosphere in which women graduates could meet to
- share common interests
- hear distinguished speakers on issues of interest to women
- raise funds to promote and support women’s educational needs
- support causes, particularly in developing countries.
To achieve this purpose, the branch held four luncheons per annum which were fund-raisers to contribute to the River Branch Awards. In addition, members participated in a reading group and in regular theatre parties.
Over many years, the River branch gave donations to the following:
- Virginia Gildersleeve fund
- University of Sydney grant-in-aid to women undertaking research degrees
- Macquarie University award for the best woman graduate in special education
- Papua-New Guinea eye care program in Rabaul, PNG
For any enquiries regarding the River Branch, please contact the GW NSW office on: