The Joan Ritchie Award is for a mature student in her second year of study, having completed the first year of study at a satisfactory academic level, who can demonstrate significant disadvantage. This now annual award was made possible by the generous bequest of past Eastern Suburbs member Ms Joan Ritchie.
- Must be 25years or over at the time of applying
- In the second year of a full time course for any degree at any university in NSW or Canberra, having completed first year and with a minimum of Credit level in all first year subjects
- Be an Australian citizen or have permanent residency in Australia
- Demonstrate disadvantage: that is, have overcome or are overcoming disadvantage in the pursuit of your studies.
Disadvantage may include the following:
Financial difficulty or low income
English as a second language
Migrant or refugee status
Disability or medical condition
Geographical isolation/significant distance from campus
Family crisis or difficult family environment
Career/ Study disruption
Other difficult circumstances.
- Completed online application form should be submitted to GW-NSW Inc by 5 FEBRUARY. No applications will be considered after this date
- The Trustees hope to announce the award of the Scholarship by late March.
- Scanned copy (pdf) of proof of enrolment in year of application
- Scanned copy (pdf) of original of all university results including those for subjects completed in your present course
- Personal impact statement to explain the nature of your disadvantage and its effect on your study and what benefit the award would provide to you. You may paste in a Word document of no more than 300 words of 11 point Arial font and line spacing 1.5
- PLEASE NOTE: A scanned copy (pdf) or image of proof of citizenship or permanent resident status e.g. extract of birth entry, passport, visa, certificate of citizenship will need to be supplied by short listed candidates upon request.
You are responsible for ensuring your application is complete. An electronic notification of the receipt of your application will be sent but this does NOT mean its content has been checked. Incomplete applications will be rejected as assessment commences. If you do not receive notification that your application has been sent/received please contact the office on firstname.lastname@example.org
Referees will only be contacted for short listed candidates.
Please click for the Joan Ritchie Award Application Form